Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Welcome to the Southern Arizona OA Diversity and Inclusion Committee page! We are so glad you are here.
“THE FELLOWSHIP encourages and promotes acceptance and inclusivity. All are welcome to join OA and are not excluded because of race, creed, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other trait. We welcome all who share our compulsion.”
Why are we talking about diversity and inclusion in program?
As members of OA, a part of service is reaching out to ALL those who suffer. Diversity work is central to creating welcoming spaces for people of diverse experiences. Doing both the internal work as individuals and the community work to create those spaces is key to attracting new members and maintaining healthy spaces for our current membership. The ability to uphold the Traditions and spiritual principles of the program depends on diversity, inclusion, access and equity. There can be no unity in the fellowship without first honoring our differences.
In 2020, the Diversity and Inclusion Committee conducted a survey in order to 1) get to know our current local community, 2) understand the current level of diversity in the Southern Arizona Intergroup meetings and 3) start to understand any barriers to OA participation among current members.
To see the results of the survey and read more, please click below.
Committee Purpose and Vision:
The purpose of the Diversity and Inclusion committee is two-fold. Its first purpose is to provide space for committee members to support each other’s individual learning and skill building around diversity work. Its second purpose is to support the Southern Arizona community in their learning and applications of diversity and inclusion both within our fellowship and in carrying the message to other suffering compulsive eaters.
The focus starts with HOW we are carrying the message not just that we are doing it.
It is neither kind nor compassionate to ask people to come to the group when the group hasn’t done its internal work. It is also unkind to expect people to know how to do th work for themselves. The committee’s focus will be on supporting the community in doing their internal work.
Current Committee Goals:
- To get the word out about the survey that was done in 2017 and encourage members to look at that information and think about how it impacts what we talk about in program as diversity.
- To get the word out about what OA already has to offer
- To encourage meetings to add the diversity statement to formats
- To encourage meetings to start participating in the Unity with Diversity Check list, to and in meetings, and to work with the Uniting with Diversity pamphlet.
- To provide spaces and events that help support the overall community in the work of looking at diversity and inclusion first internally, and then at how that impacts how we deliver the message and attract and keep members.
- To connect with and work with other OA Diversity and Inclusion committees and to maintain a connection to the WSO Unity with Diversity Committee
OA World Service Diversity Materials:
2017 Survey. Proof that Diversity work needs to be done in program. https://oa.org/app/uploads/2019/12/OA-Membership-Survey-2017.pdf
Policy Statements related to Unity with Diversity:
The first paragraph to be added to meeting formats whenever a group is willing.
Uniting with Diversity pamphlet
Please add to your IR notebook and share with meetings.
Unity with Diversity Checklist
Please add to your IR notebook and share with meetings. Consider doing this checklist as we do a healthy meeting check list. Also provides a list of literature on diversity that meetings can provide and also read from.